Monday, March 14, 2011

The Brookwood Community

Yesterday, my mom, Robin, and I went to Brookwood Community for the day.


If you have never been to The Brookwood Community, you are definitely missing out! The Brookwood Community is off of I-10, past Katy, in Brookwood, TX. Here is what they have to say about themselves:

"Through the Grace of God, The Brookwood Community provides an educational environment that creates meaningful jobs, builds a sense of belonging, and demands dignity and respect for adults with special needs."

The Brookwood Community provides a place for adults with special needs to live as a community. The community members have many different jobs in which they can be trained, such as creating handicrafts, gardening/horticulture, and cooking.
The whole setting at the visitors center is beautiful. We had a fantastic lunch at the cafe (the food will blow you away...really fantastic!) then browsed the gift shop (which is gigantic, the picture at the top only shows part of it) and the gardens/nursery. My mom picked up a purse and a few bracelets while I grabbed 2 jars of jam (meyer lemon pear marmalade and papaya orange habanero jam) and this cool glazed concrete/ceramic ball:

We also picked up 2 houseplants, a clover plant and this really cool variegated plant:




I just stuck these plants near the window for light, though I do kind of like the clover right there. Now I just need to find a pot for it!

We also picked up a great plant that made us instantly think of Robin's mom but we'll be holding on to it until Mother's Day.

All of the plants there are obviously well-tended and the prices are very competitive. I can only hope that my black thumb doesn't kill them!

If you have a free day and are looking for something fun to do, head down to Brookwood for a great afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment